Saturday, February 20, 2010

Showing off in Yoga



I was accused of showing off in Yin Yoga today. In Yin Yoga, fewer poses are adopted during class but are held for about 5 minutes each to allow the deeper tissues to get a stretch, eg the fascia, ligaments and tendons. The toe poses kill me every time, must start to do them whilst watching tv to improve. It is pure hell... you raise your heels, bending foot forward so toes are under, with knees on the ground, feet and ankles together, kneel in that position, then once the 5 minutes is up, you bend your toes the opposite way so now you are kneeling with the front top half of your foot pressing down to the mat. I struggle with this big time, but some of the other poses, like the hip openers are not so bad as I am quite flexible in the hips.

This lovely guy beside me could do the toes exercise, no sweat, no pain, all perfect! I was dead impressed. The other poses for him proved a challenge, I was ok with the quads stretches and that was when he called me a show off the first time.. all because I could maintain the pose with what seemed like little effort!! I was feeling it, and the discomfort was bearable, we were joking and laughing.

This is the only yoga class where conversation flows, the others are more quiet and contemplating and self- centred. I was slightly flattered that someone thought I was good at yoga, hehe, the ego in me coming out there. We joked and I called him a show off in the toes pose. Everybody apart form one other was suffering vocally. There were some of us in so much discomfort even our eyelashes were hurting.

I must add here that I was not showing off in any way, I was pushing my body as I had not been to yoga for more than a week and had hardly done any practice at home. The last 14 day challenge I did, I missed out on 3 days due to work and one day, I just was too tired. I was quite proud of myself nonetheless.

I love all yoga, hatha, moksha, moksha flow. I love the workout I get, and I think I am getting stronger. I sweat like a pig in class, which I am supposed to do, which is good, but I actually hate sweating lol. I think yoga has made a difference to my life, I feel a lot more calm, and strong, mentally as well as physically. The children and Dave will probably I say I shout just as much!!!

I Love Yoga, It Rocks, Yeahhhhh babyyyyy . Am posting a pic of me doing yoga on the beach at Maracas

No comments:

Post a Comment