Thursday, February 11, 2010

A lovely evening

Just had the most pleasant evening with the family. Dave was home early, we went walking together and ran the last 50 yards home.
Dinner was served, all lappies off and all food consumed. Then we all sat down to a game of Rummikub apart from Mitch, who sat with us playing on his lappy. Was a good game, Dave won.
I was accused of not reading to the kids as much asd I said I was going to, so made an effort to read a Roald Dahl short story, The Boy who spoke to animals to them, the funny thing was the story was set in the West Indies, where we were! Well, the story was set in Jamaica, but that was close enough. I wonder if Raold Dahl ever visited the West Indies as the locals' use of the English langauge in the book is a bit posh! Stikll, it was a good start, I have not finished reading the story as yet.

The kids love me reading to them because I do not drop off like Dave when he reads to them, and I also try to make the book come alive by using different voices and accents for the characters in the book, it's my chance to show my acting skills..hehehe
The story is about a boy who rescues a turtle that was caught by a fisherman and sold to the hotel manager for food and it's shell. The story was first published in 1945, so I guess they didn't realise then that turtles would be endangered in years to come.

I asked the kids what they would do if they saw this happening in a hotel we were staying at whilst on holiday.....Jasmine said she would hit the fisherman, Mitch said he would let the turtle go, as he loves turtles. I think we may have succeeded in instilling some wonderful qualities and principals in our children.

I have eaten turtle myself and turtle eggs as a child. We didn't know then what we know now and I hope it's not too late. The Chinese will eat any animal that moves and some animals are a delicacy, like turtles, shark's fins etc etc. It doesn't make it right though. It's the year of the Tiger come 14/2/2010, and the thought of Chinese hunting tigers to then use parts of the tiger to improve men's virility sickens me. Education is the key as is communication.......

No comments:

Post a Comment