Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life is a changing

Since my last post, things are a changing. Changing? What? Again? Yes, again, but then that is life though, isn't it? Nothing in life is permanent. People age, as I know very well having celebrated my 44th birthday today, my children continue to grow and develop at an alarming rate, the seasons change, moving on to the rainy season here soon, mangoes on the tree ripen and fill my tummy with delight and so on and so forth.

So, what has been happening? Not a lot, I was minding my own business, helping out at Moksha, even managed to drag Dave to a couple of classes which he didn't enjoy, unfortunately, but did feel some benefit from. I continued to play receptionist at Mamatoto, being mum, wife, children's taxi, going to Yoga, walking with friends and neighbours, enjoying the life I had adopted since moving to Trinidad.

Then about 10 days ago, I had a call from Dave, who was at work, and I could tell he had something important to tell me, he started the conversation by saying, how are you? how's your day going? what you been up to? BUT I could hear an edge to his voice, I could also hear that he was outdoors. I replied, doing the housework, mopping the floors, had cleaned at Yoga and then did a class etc etc. Then he said, they want me to go to Canada! Wooooahhhh boy!!! Steady on.....

So, my life is about to change again. I should be used to this, after all, I am MRS Change, the poltergeist in the house, I would change the furniture round in the house at a whim, not consulting anyone, changed the colour of the walls if I got bored, so much so, that Dave would swear that there was a poltergeist in the house. I would move things around when he was at work or asleep and he would return to find his favourite chair in another space!!! Once I even changed our bedroom, we were at the front of the house, and when he got back from work, we were sleeping at the back LOL.

I guess this time round, I had set my mind on being in Trinidad for 2 years, even though I knew that it was not guaranteed, I didn't think that I would be moving before the 1st year was up. It's another upheaval for the kids, we are now fairly settled here, I have been made to feel so welcome by the locals, forged many friendships with my neighbours and also the girls from the asian ladies group. Not to mention the friends I have made at Moksha. I feel so at home here, despite disliking the heat and humidity, the mossies and cockroaches. I am not ready to go, but go we will have to come the end of June.

At this point in writing, nothing is finalised and we may not end up in Canada, we may well be heading home or somewhere else. It's all very unsettling and my heart is heavy. I am stressed, as much as I like change, I also like stability. I am a creature of contradictions!!! I feel tired at the thought of the forthcoming move, I fall asleep and awake after 3-4 hours, staring into the darkness and finding it difficult to get back to sleep and drift in and out of sleep til the dawn breaks, feeling unrefreshed and wondering what the future holds......

Part of me feels excited, another move, another country, more opportunities for the children and for me to return to work. Part of me doesn't want to give up my neighbours and friends I have made here.... who will always be my friends and I will endeavour to keep in touch with. I am dreading the thought of having to make new friends and networks, but I am sure I will be fine and will take this into my stride once I know exactly where we are heading to.

So, this Monday saw me down at the Vehicle and Transport office trying to obtain a certified copy of my car registration with the above mentioned office. When you buy a car in Trini, you have to transfer ownership and pay a fee, then pay another fee for the copy of the registration stating the vehicle is now registered under your name. We bought the car in Sept, 09, it is now May 2010, we still have no certified copy. Not for want of trying , I might add. We have been to that office, queued and got to the front to be told, we can't find it, comeback in a week and we will have it ready. We leave it 5-6 weeks, go back, first thing, 8 am, queue, I'll let you guess what I was told when I got to the desk.... any guesses? Did they have the cert???? Did they heck! It's not here, let me go and ask my supervisor what to do..... comes back, you need to see the chief clerk, take a number and wait to be seen, vehicle on the system, you need to see clerk to get a copy printed out....I seeee.... luckily I brought my iPod, but should I really be listening to it in public? Should I let others see I have an iPod? What if someone tried to rob me the minute I left the office to get to my car???? Reports of recent burglaries is making me paranoid... but those thoughts did run through my head. I overcame them and watched my best of YouTube podcasts, it helped me pass the time.... I also spent some time talking to a pleasant man, also on another visit, waiting to see the clerk, doing a favour for a friend and it wasn't his 1st visit either .. hahahahaa. We had an interesting conversation and the conclusion was that it could only get better, the systems are out there, to simplify processes and one day, Trinidad would have them, it's not happening soon, but it will happen one day!!!

Before I got to see the clerk, there was some confusion about the order the numbers were being given out, never mind I thought, I have only been here 2 hours, and I know I will be asked to come back again, as they have nothing for me, just as they had nothing for Dave 5 weeks ago. The chief clerk was very apologetic, and said, it has not been done, I am sorry, come back next week and it will be done. it's on the system you say? Just needs a copy printing? Can you do it now? Oh, No, we do not print now, we have other people who will do the printing when the office is closed and I promise you, you will have your copy in a week, just come back to see me. Ok, I said. Well?? What else could I say??? Thank goodness I am not working, and do not have to take time off to do this kind of thing, which most of the people in the queue did in order to be told to return, take another morning off... to be fair, some people did walk away with what they came for.

There was a sign there that tickled me, it said, research clerk counter will be closed at 2pm in order for us to do more research!!!! Had me in fits and giggles. Oh well... I have a strange sense of humour.

Will I get this certified copy next Monday? Will we be going to Canada???? Till the next blog......

3 comments:

  1. Awwww Suyin!!! I keep getting your messages and totally being swamped myself haven't had a chance to respond. I AM GOING TO MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! I can't believe you are leaving already either and i totally remember you bitching about not having clothes when you first moved here. I guess the really good thing about this is when you move to where ever...MORE SHOPPING!!!! Just keep telling Dave that everytime he makes you move you and the kids will just go shopping...I LOVE IT!!!

    I feel like we should do tea or something...have a little lime. Perhaps you can make it to the wine tasting this Friday...it's going to be cheeses and wine!!!!

    Anyhoo sister, i am so thankful that you have crossed my path...for all your help at the studio, for all the jokes in class and for you being you!!! Make sure we catch each other before you leave AND make sure i know where you move too...i LOVE vacations and staying in friends houses for free *tee hee*!

    Much love to you and plenty, plenty kisses!!!
    Good luck with that car drama...hmmmmmm let's see...who do i know there (so typical in Trini, right?)

    KB
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops and HAPPY BIRFDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRFDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRFDAY, DEAR SUYIN...HAPPY BIRFDAY TO YOU!!!!!

    Don't forget Sex and the City 2 lime - dressing up, cosmos and movie - at the end of the month...hope you'll still be here!!!!

    KB again!
    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing we can be sure is change *never thought it's so true up to now.
    I'll miss you Suyin, also hoping you the very best. Hope to see you sometimes, somewhere *who knows? Thank you for being you and brightened up the AL group!

    ReplyDelete