Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Asian Ladies Lunch Club




In all my years of being abroad, this is the first time I have had so many Malaysian and Asian friends. I had lived in the UK for 20 years, and had 3 friends from Nursing from Malaysia, Shan, who is still in the UK and living in Essex, we were flatmates for 2 years and got quite close, Jan who left for Australia many years ago and June who lives in Cardiff. I have lost touch with all but Shan. They were friends from home that I had met in Bristol. In Nottingham, I chanced upon Jeannie, the most wonderful of people, also from Penang and was a colleague at the Out of Hours service that we worked for. We met and became really close in a short space of time after the initial testing the water with the toe stages, but once the water was fine, we dove in deep and long! I taught her how to knit and improve her techniques and she cooked and fed me til I was the size of a baby hippo. She cried when I told her I was leaving the UK to come to Trinidad, and I felt so guilty for upsetting her, even though I cried too. It will only be for 2 years....

I was introduced to the ladies club by Ima, a fellow Malaysian, married to a Brit called Dave who is a fishitarian, what a coincidence, similarities end there I am afraid, she's Malay, I'm Chinese, she's petite, I'm a hippo, she's soft and gentle, I'm a bull in a china shop, she's shy, I'm loud and brash LOL. In any case, my first lunch club was nice, I didn't really know anyone, but it was all very pleasant. They are all camera mad though, and just love taking pictures with their cameras. I, on the other hand, am not so photogenic and shy away from the cam at all costs, declaring that taking a pic of me would break their camera, so take at your own peril!

Through Asian ladies I have met and made many friends, some close ones, and feel so privileged. We are all in a foreign country and it is so lovely to be with friends from home who share the same language, cultural background and quirks and sense of humour and love for food!!!! Being in Trinidad has given me this wonderful opportunity and I want to thank the person who started the Asian Ladies club, she has since moved to better pastures, but the spirit of what she started is very much alive. It is great to know you have friends from home even in a strange country. If ever you feel homesick or frustrated, there is someone who will truly understand and help you through tougher days... I did not have this in the UK, just did not mix in the correct circles I guess, or perhaps I subconsciously stayed away from any clubs of any kind, for whatever reason. It's really great, though I do not think I would search for a club should I return to the UK. I truly believe in Karma, and I guess Karma dictated that I meet up with all these wonderful women.

Thought I'd better mention that we come from many asian countries and will attempt to list them all - Burma( Myanmar), India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand. Hope I've listed them all, Evy, the current co-ordinator will correct me if I've missed any.

Anyway, we had a great lunch at my house today, and everyone who came brought a dish and we had the most amazing spread. Ima and I had invited some of our friends and neighbours and they brought their dishes too.... far too much food, but who cares, we all ate and enjoyed each others company and had a blast.

There are 4 Malaysians who attend the lunches most months, Ima, Chik Mee, Mahani and I, and boy oh boy, when we get together we get raucous and loud and just can't help fooling around and laughing til our bellies ache. Mahani is such a scream, she should start a blog or even write a book! We apologise for our rudeness should we descend into ourselves and start talking in Malay, or Chinese, reassuring those around us that we are not talking about them, well, mostly we are not, sorry , norty , norty ... seriously though, we are not hahahahaha

To all my Asian Ladies Club friends, thank you so much for accepting me into your group and sharing with me, it's so very refreshing and I hope we will continue to be friends, even when we leave Trini .

No comments:

Post a Comment