Monday, May 17, 2010

Eating mangoes in the pool

It's mango season and Dave brought home some mangoes from the office orchard last Friday. It was a carrier bag full of small ripe mangoes, smaller than the starch mangoes, with instructions from Ram on how to eat them. You bite a hole in the bottom and just suck the juice out! So, we did just that. I also started to eat the skin, as I had eaten mango skin on unripe mangoes before. They were lovely but messy, eating them like that, juice running down our chins, staining them a bright orange, we all looked like orange beard, and not bluebeard!!!

We went to Maracas yesterday, taking every opportunity to go to the beach before we leave Trini at the end of June. It also stops us from lazing around all day doing nothing. The plan was to have bake and fish for brunch as we had left without having breakfast. We had all got up a bit late as we had been at Mariele's son's birthday party the day before and had stayed til 10.30 pm. That was a lovely afternoon and evening, the kids were happy playing games and swimming and the adults were liming. A lot of Spanish was spoken as Mariele and Javier are from Bolivia and their friends came from other S American countries- Bolivia, Peru and Colombia. One of the friends even recognised Dave and started to talk to Dave in Spanish and Dave looked up blankly, until he was reminded about the meeting they had attended together nearly a year ago! The beer was flowing, the barbecue lit and kids were having a go at the chocolate fountain.

Back to the beach- we got our bakes and sharks, Mitch and I had potato pie and shark for a change, sat in the car, and it could almost be a scene out of any English coast side, sat in your parked car, eating your packed sandwiches and admiring the view in the rain! Of course, we weren't in England, it was far too hot for that, and the rain was a torrential downpour and we were having bake and shark with pepper sauce... hehehehe

The rain abated and our stomachs full, we strode off to the beach, the waves were great, about 1.5-2m high and we had a lovely time jumping the waves and body surfing, til Dave was overcome by a wave and managed to do some acrobatic antics in the water that left him with an injured knee! No more waves for him.. out he hobbled, trunks nearly revealing a builder's bum, not that he was in any state to care, and me, chasing after him saying, what's happened, what's happened, I asked Mitch and and I heard him say Daddy's got to pee! What he actually said was, daddy's hurt his knee...... sigh, guess we're not that young anymore and every tumble we take, we fall hard as we're not as flexible as we used to be. Actually, I woke up this morning with a strained neck, and it must have been when the waves crashed over me and I was pulled under, but thought nothing of it at the time.

Dave out of the sea, ice on knee, he was happy to read his book. Kids and I still in the sea and Mitch spotted some friends of ours, Sam and Harry, Matthew and Adam... so, Trisha and Iain, Cathy and Alan, Dina and Jeremy, Becky and Sean and another couple we didn't know were there too. We soon joined them and the kids all had a great time till it was time to go, as Mitch still had some homework to complete. It was the longest I have ever stayed in the sea, and had gone back in several times and I think I may have overcome my fear of the sea, another thing to be thankful for!

We got home, and as usual, went to the back yard to shower all the sand off and jump into our pool, not ours for much longer. We had taken some mangoes to the beach, but not eaten them, so we tossed them all in the pool, for a game of dive and find a mango. Jas found many and put them on the side, and Mitch threw them all back in! I just found some and started eating them! Soon we were all eating them, again the juice making orange beards and moustaches. It was sheer bliss. I said to Dave..... why do we have to go??? Never having eaten so many mangoes in one go, in a pool and they were free mangoes too, life seemed all too good to be true!

Today, I finally got the car's certified copy of registration, and whilst I was waiting, I caught the eye of another Chinese girl who was also there last week. I was about 6 places in front of her in the queue. I was seen in 30 minutes, and after another 10mins, I walked out with my precious piece of paper. As I passed the Chinese girl, she asked me, did you get through? Hahahahaha, I knew what she meant, unlike 9 months ago, when I did not know what people meant when I was asked, you getting through? I had visions of me being a ghost and getting through object and people LOL. So, I told her, yes, I got through, and it was only our 5th visit!!! LOL.

I saw the girl again, about an hour later, as I had gone home to discover that I had left my novel behind and had to go back!!!!!! She was still waiting and I hope she managed to get her cert too.

I had a very productive day today, I did part of the housework before the school run, did the car thing, home for breakfast and more housework, back to the car place for my book, off to the bank to pay the Canadian Visa fees, had lunch with the lovely Jill, bought a dress for Jasmine, a top for myself,picked up kids from school, came back, finished off the housework, and cooked up a storm.... I could get used to being a housewife........






1 comment:

  1. You're one a few trini blogs I stopped to read. Mangoes in the pool!

    ReplyDelete