Thursday, March 25, 2010

waiting in for plumbers



So, we have a leak in the kitchen. It is a most peculiar leak, in that it doesn't leak all the time. Some mornings we find a large puddle, just by the cabinet by the cooker. It varies form a small puddle to one extending all the way to the fridge, kitchen sink and beyond. Investigators hat on, Dave goes in search for the source, where is the leak coming from? Initially, I thought it may be the fridge, but that was not the answer. On looking at the wall behind and beside the leak, some rising damp!!!! The leak is within the wall and seeping out under the floors ARGHHHHHHH.
This kinda took about 2 weeks or more, deciding where the leak was coming from, once we were certain, plumbers were called after informing the landlady. First visit-plumber supposed to come at 11, at 1.30pm, he still hadn't showed. I had taken a day off work at short notice to wait in and so I was not well pleased, I could have gone in to work til one and come back had I known he wasn't coming til 2pm!!!! Quick look, yes, yes, confirms leak coming from behind wall. Can't be fixed straight away.
Plan of action- landlady to be told and office to organise sending someone else out to knock wall down and fix leak, well, chip into the wall.
A week later, no call, no news. Must say I was not holding my breath. Finally, I rang them again and asked what was happening as the puddles appeared to be getting bigger and soaking up towels and leaking when it didn't use to leak. Ahhh, they said, landlady abroad, so we haven't informed her..... OK OK, then , plumbers then said , we thought you were going to inform the landlady yourself, OK OK. Patient, very patient. Anyhow, landlady finally contacted, yes, work to be carried out ASAP. Plumbers can come this afternoon, this was Monday... great I say, again not holding my breath.
No surprises- no plumber arrives. Ring, ring, plumbers on the phone, sorry Mrs Jordan, plumbers caught up in another job, can't make it, shall we make it Weds? ( because I was at work Tues). OK, when? First thing in the morning, 8.30? Great. Still not holding breath.
Weds morning comes- 8.30, 9.30, 10.30, no plumber, just Trisha who called in to get her top that I had altered for her. 11.00- still no one, call to plumber, so sorry, beyond my control, will be after lunch now. OK OK... won't be before 2pm, great, OK, come after 2.15 as got to pick kids from school. No problem, Mrs Jordan. Smile serenely down the phone.
Leave to go to Pricesmart to get food and drinks for the lime we're having on Friday.
In queue to pay, phone goes, Mrs Jordan? Yes? Plumbers, great, we going to be at yours in 10-15 mins, not so great! Ummmm, am not at home. Can we call you back? Of course.

Cutting this now, they never came on Weds, but finally on Thursday, 8.40am- plumbers here, yippeee, hurrahhh, do a cartwheel as was in warrior 2 position anyhow lol.
All fixed by 11.00 but now awaiting plasterers to come repair wall. Friends have had to collect kids from school for me, lucky for friends eh? What would I do without them. Have made many since coming to Trini, and will miss them all when I leave. Some have already left the paradise island for better pastures and this makes island life pretty transient.

Even our kitten Lola, much loved by us all, has gone, can't believe she's gone, but gone she is, 2 weeks now, not a sign of her anywhere in the neighbourhood. Could she have heard us talking about New York? About leaving her for the summer as we were going back to the UK? How quickly we become attached, I miss her walking in between my legs when I am cooking in the kitchen, I miss stroking her soft fur, I miss her cute face, the kids miss her too, hopefully she's OK, she's found a better home ........

No comments:

Post a Comment